Friday, November 20, 2009

Composers Manefesto -"Bloody Mary"


For this class we had to write a composition that utilized unconventional instruments and/or unconventional sounds to create a musical performance piece. When I was writing my musical composition, it was about a week from Halloween, my favorite holiday, and I was feeling in the spirit of spooky things. I also wanted it to be a piece that people could have a good time with. I kept thinking about how to connect sounds to a ghost story and when I couldn't find a suitable short story that had the right feel, I decided to write a poem myself. To me this structure seemed more appropriate anyways because of the rhythmic sound stanzas can create. My notation could have been more clear I think, because the class did have to perform it twice. The storyline in the poem was about Bloody Mary, an all time classic of urban legends. I read a bunch of "true" and made up stories about her to think of the sounds I could make. I had people whisper "Bloody Mary", scratch on desks and the carpet, make rumbling noises with hands and feet on the floor, rattle the doorknob, shake a piece of plastic to simulate wind and thunder, any random noises that others thought were weird, then a bell. The sounds were supposed to feel like they came in softer and grew louder throughout the story, allowing the suspenseful feeling to grow. Then the ring of the bell signals the sounds to abruptly halt, because to me, the sound of complete silence after a noisy ruckus is really eerie. Hopefully my composition was fun for people to perform and got across the spooky emotion that I was going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment