Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Einstein's "Letter to Jacques Hadamard"


The letter from Einstein is a difficult one for me to clearly interpret. Einstein is attempting to verbally reproduce the creative process he goes through in his discoveries and theories. From the beginning I shared his trepidation in doing so. “I am not satisfied myself with those answers...”. Personally, I am respectfully dazzled by greater minds than my own. It seems it is futile enough for me to fathom their intellectual process let alone the sources behind them that provide direction. This letter is an insight that I appreciated into a different side of a man I would have thought lived in numbers. In seems that he instead formed his ideas within his imagination, spiritedly exploring this realm with insight and application to the world around him. What I took away from this was that his creative process was nurtured, organic and fluid. Words were a secondary accomplishment in this process and only suitable outside the initial creative sensations that led to the idea. Einstein’s creative process is truly interesting, and made me humanize an icon whose thoughts seemed beyond my reach. We are at least equal in our creative capacity as human beings and this is a comforting realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment