Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Seth Hunter Exhibit, "A Thousand, But More"


When I first walked into the gallery displaying Seth Hunter’s exhibit, I was struck by the stark setting. On one end of the room there was a worn dictionary laid upon a pedestal. On the other end, three small square signs hung from the wall, spattered with repetitive script. One sign conveys the message, “ten hundred is just to annoy by irritating acts or remarks”. The second just repeats a few words and half sentences, (such as although, whether, on condition that; in case that). The last sign used the phrase “make a million then you will know” to cover its surface, perhaps hinting on the fact that you can make a million cups and still end up with a different result, but at least you will definitely know how to make a cup. In the middle of the gallery floor there are wood pieces laid out with tons of cups strewn across the top. This effect was very aesthetically pleasing, because to me the cups were seemingly crowded in appearance, yet when I looked closely they were clearly separated and not at all on top of one another. The cups differed from one another, but they still managed to be seen as a whole unit with the colors being complementary and interwoven. The deformity of the middle cup was something to draw the eye, and reminded me of a black hole in the middle of a space, deforming and sucking objects into its depth. On the wood was written “Too many pages none of them are right”. This was interesting to me and inspired me to look further into the exhibit by actually turning over one of the cups. Underneath I found a word. I regret that I can’t recall to memory which word it was, and I was foolish enough not to write it down, but I thought it was inventive that the exhibit was slightly interactive. Look at the word then proceed to the dictionary to look it up. The artist seemed to really want to get a point across and used continuous methods to do so. As a whole, this exhibit was very interesting to me because of the impression it left. I felt like maybe I was being warned against the danger of repetition past a certain point. To become an expert is a desirable thing but to end your trial there is a waste. The pages are there and none of them are right so reliving this circumstance and reading the same pages is not helpful. I have no idea what the artist actually intended but I enjoyed the work and have come to my own helpful conclusions about its message.

No comments:

Post a Comment