Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Role of Art in My Education



Art is one of the only things I looked forward to going to school. It was a place in my education that at least let me feel like I couldn’t go wrong. Ideally, art shouldn’t have to seem like the escape from a day of soul sucking structure, but it seems like that has been its place in my life. The only bad experience I can think of would be taking an art class at a community college and seeing that even a topic I took refuge in could be sullied by stringent regulation. My teacher there was an interesting enough man with some unique ideas on the way art should be viewed and created. Unfortunately, he believed his ideas were the only ones worth following and imposed those visions on my own. I hated it. I would work so hard on a drawing and he’d just slap a B on it along with a list of methods I should have applied or executed incorrectly. This bothered me a lot and made me get worse and worse as the class progressed because I felt smothered by his expectation. I believe a lot of students who have restrictions imposed on them on any subject will grow to loath and avoid it altogether. That is why it is so important for creativity in art and every classroom to be present and accepted even when it happens to be outside the realm of outlined standards. Art is a vital tool in bringing about passion which is necessary in any subject studied. This was its role in my education. It allowed me to know that my ideas and my work, good or bad, are uniquely mine and aren’t something to feel afraid or ashamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment